Re: [DML] wanting info on smartly buying a delorean

Re: [DML] wanting info on smartly buying a delorean

In a message dated 10/27/00 9:04:49 PM Central Daylight Time,
fastride@xxxx writes:

> I'm getting the feeling there are two kinds of DeLorean
> owners. The rabid fanatics (most of who are on this net, myself included)
> and the "accidental owners" who could have been just as happy driving a
Saab
> 900 or something but somehow wound up with a DeLorean.
>
> Jack Janney
> #10109 (1 week old)

hehe. when i finally get mine, i'm going to be the rabid fanatic type:-)

thanks everyone for the great responses i've gotten so far. some very usuable
information. please keep it coming!!

and if anyone has any leads to finding one in the upper midwest in excellent
condition... please drop a line!!!!!!!

i was talking to a mechanic who works at a sportscar performance shop in
moorhead minnesota and he told me he's worked on a delorean before. he has
been telling me the PRV-6 is a total piece of trash engine. he said it
overheats, loves to destroy camshafts and take the valves with them, leaks
oil, etc etc etc. i basically got the impression from HIM that the engine is
not worth the trouble. yet most of you here have told me the the PRV-6 is a
proven, reliable piece of engineering. this guy told me it was in use in the
Eagle Vision in the late 80's or early 90's. on the flip side, he told me
that if something DOES go wrong with it, parts are abundant and it's easily
fixed....

i'm also very interested in knowing the details on the transmission. i
understand it's a Renault R-30 type? how reliable is this transmission? keep
in mind i'm not going to race the car - only use it as a daily driver in the
spring/summer/fall. how does the straight-stick compare to the automatic?
research on my part has turned up that many problems with the tranny are
related to a bad governor computer? how much is it to get a GOOD computer?

any thoughts?

thanks!
Andy