Re: [DML] wanting info on smartly buying a delorean

Re: [DML] wanting info on smartly buying a delorean

I've owned my D for 13 years.

1. Are they reliable? I have 132,000 miles. On a scale of 1-10 for
reliability i give it a 7. Why? the cars are 20 years old.
I drive mine daily, and absolutely love it, but once every 2 years
something goes wrong (fuel pump, sensor, etc.) Nothing
major, just down for a day or two. I consider it a small price to pay for
a classic car that can't get door dings and doesn't
need waxing. I also happen to work 5 minutes from a major west coast
delorean repair facility (DMC). Before you buy,
make sure you know where you can get it repaired (any shop can do oil
changes) and get parts.

2. Ease of getting parts: I have less trouble get D parts than I do for my
wife's Durango. Fewer cars, less demand,
parts in stock. You won't get an original shock, but you can get a fine
replacement. This is the least of your worries.

3. Major flaw?: Cooling system. Once you buy, replace all of the hoses,
learn how to refill and bleed your system.
Once you do that, you can go years without a problem. These cars don't do
well in stop-and-go traffic if there is
air in the cooling system or if the sensors aren't working or if the water
pump has problems. I once heard someone
say never mess with brakes and tires, always replace and buy the best. On
the D, add cooling system.

4. If you want a daily driver, be cautious of cars with low miles. Lots of
upgrades, replacements, etc. to get it to
daily driving condition.

5. Enjoy

system. Cap Gemini Ernst & Young is neither liable for the proper and
complete transmission of the information contained in this communication
nor for any delay in its receipt.