Re: [DML] Roof leaking

Christian,

I have the same problem with roof leaks in my car. I haven't fixed it yet,
but I have been told (by members of this list) that the problem is due to
rivets under the stainless T-panel. Check out Service Bulletin ST-33-12/81.
It has several pictoral diagrams of where sealent should be applied.

When it rains, water puddles in the dome light and drips out around it. I
bought an entire new headliner from PJ Grady in custom black. It has a new
fiberglass backing which replaces the fiberboard in the original. My
original headliner is warped pretty bad. Before I install it, I'm going to
make real sure that I have all the leaks fixed. Other things I have noticed
about my roof leak is when I hit the brakes, water pours out around the dome
light.

When I parked my car sideways on a hill to wash it, (the passenger side was
uphill) a LOT of water poured in around the dome light and through the area
where the passenger sunvisor attaches. The next time I washed my car, I had
it parked on the hill going the other way, and no water leaked in at all.
So the water appears to be getting in around the torsion bar area on the
passenger side.

About the dented T-panel, you are not alone. My T-panel is pretty dinged up
from a previous owner adjusting the driver's door. I have another one from
a parts car to put on when I fix the leak and replace the head liner. If
you remove your T-panel looking for leaks, you will have to remove the
plastic screen at the back of the T-panel above the rear window. Be very
careful with this screen. It breaks easily. Also, the NOS supply of them
ran out a long time ago. If you brake it, you won't find a new one very
easily.

Later,
Walt Tampa, FL