Re: wanting info on smartly buying a delorean

Re: wanting info on smartly buying a delorean

The engine, a prv-6 b28f, is the most reliable part of the car. It has
an improved camshaft so it doesn't have the problems of the earlier
engines. About the only way to kill it is to overheat it which is why
it is so important to properly maintain the cooling system and fans.
As to the auto vs. the manual transmission the car performs much
better with the manual. The auto is EXPENSIVE to repair. You are
correct that there are problems with the shift computer but ultimatly
you can overcome them. There are pros and cons about both. Do you
enjoy driving a daily driver in traffic with a stick? Or are you more
into just having fun and not worrying what gear you are in and
driving. Either auto or manual the car is underpowered except with the
turbos and it is not recommended to have a tubo in an automatic. Ask
the Delorean venders how long a clutch lasts in a manual with a turbo
(of course it depends on your driving habits, yours would last longer!
ha ha).
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757 Enjoying my Automatic