Re: [DML] Re:1982 DMC is concours?

James Espey wrote:

> The Judges do NOT look in . . . the fuel pump
> access cover so if you have . . . one of the Zilla
> products, as long as you keep quiet about it,
> you won't get deducted.

[SNIP]

> I welcome the previous Millennium
> concours Judges thoughts and experiences.

I shall gladly accept the invitation. Keep in mind that so far I have judged
undercarriage and engine compartment, not luggage compartment, operating
controls, or interior.

I think that it *is* possible to tell whether or not a DeLorean has a tankzilla
without digging into the fuel tank area. When the key is turned, the fuel
guage of a Tankzilla car jumps in a way that a stock DeLorean does not.

(James, you might want to consider putting this in the next revision of the
Judges Manual).

> Generally speaking, common-sense safety/reliability
> updates are very minor deductions which can
> sometimes be offset by having the original part
> (in a concours-like condition) accompanying the
> car during judging (an example would be the coolant
> overflow bottles).

My feeling is that these *are* minor deductions, but deductions nonetheless.
Suppose I am judging two early '81 DeLoreans in side by side concours
competition. Both owners have purchased Motorola alternators instead of the
stock Ducey.

Now suppose the first owner presents me with his old Ducey alternator in
pristine condition. The second owner also has his Ducey alternator in perfect
condition, but he actually went to the trouble of removing the Motorola and
re-installing the Ducey before judging.

As a judge I must reward the second owner for going that extra mile. The first
owner would get a very small point deduction. If he did not show me the Ducey
alternator, or it was in poor condition, he would get a bigger deduction.

- Mike Substelny
VIN 01280, 7 years, Ducey alternator still going strong!