Re: [DML] Re:1982 DMC is concours?

I think this is where the bulk of disagreement lies with the opinions on how the
car should be judged.

It is widely accepted that there were design flaws in the DeLorean. If you have
a DeLorean that came from the factory with the Ducey, and have made the WISE
decision to replace it with a more reliable part, this should be considered a
good thing. If anything, a car with the under rated Ducey should loose points,
because that is the car that will be stuck on the side of the road at some point
so hundreds of people driving by can see a broken down DeLorean.

Of course, if the concourse judging was not set up this way, there would be less
of these "correct", but unsafe and unreliable parts sold.

Points should be deducted on cars that do NOT have the well known safety and
reliability upgrades. The "Perfect" DeLorean (which is what started this
thread) should be a car that is safe and reliable to drive.

Not that any of this effects me, because I do not compete in the DeLorean
Concourse events.. It just bugs me that there is a system in place that
encourages owners to not repair known design flaws that effect safety and
reliability.

Mike Substelny wrote:

> > Generally speaking, common-sense safety/reliability
> > updates are very minor deductions which can
> > sometimes be offset by having the original part
> > (in a concours-like condition) accompanying the
> > car during judging (an example would be the coolant
> > overflow bottles).
>
> My feeling is that these *are* minor deductions, but deductions nonetheless.
> Suppose I am judging two early '81 DeLoreans in side by side concours
> competition. Both owners have purchased Motorola alternators instead of the
> stock Ducey.

<SNIP>