Re: [DML] twin turbo question

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, J.D. Robbins wrote:

> I realize that the stock v6 in the Delorean has a flavour that allows
> for the twin turbo, but were any actually twin turbo from the factory?

Only prototypes, and they are quite rare. In actuality they are not made
at the factory, but by engineering companies such as Legend (which made
the most promising prototype).

> It is pretty obvious that if you do anything to your delorean that
> takes away from it original stock configuration, it will actually
> reduce its value (although I have seen some people who painted their

It's not as obvious as all that, at least not to me. I know I would pay a
premium for a turbo car, although probably not enough to cover the cost of
the kit.

In the case of the Island turbo kit, there are no chassis modifications or
internal engine modifications. If it should happen that the collector
value of DeLoreans should skyrocket, the turbo kit could easily be removed
and the car restored to stock condition. But in today's market, I would
expect a turbo-equipped car to sell for at least as much as a car in
comparable condition with a stock engine. To a collector, obviously the
value is reduced, but most buyers today want a car to drive.