[DML] Re: Get performance!!!

At 11:21 PM 3/31/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I am using the Power Stop rotors on all 4 corners. At the time that I
>installed these rotors, I also replaced the master cylinder, rebuilt all of
>the calipers, and installed the stainless brake lines. The difference is
>incredible, but still not as good as my Acura Integra or my beat-up Toyota
>p/u. At least I can now lock up the wheels. I am certain that these rotors
>make a difference, but with all of the changes I made at that time, the
>Power Stop difference could not be quantified.
>
>As a side note, I also replaced my Integra with the Power Stop rotors on all
>4 corners and the difference was immediate. The car does stop shorter by a
>noticeable amount. The only downside is that they do not work too well
>until they have warmed up. That is, the brakes don't seem to start to grab
>until 2 or 3 stops.
>
>Sean Howley
>VIN#2345

reply:

Hi Sean,

Your post is very interesting. I am one of the stainless line replaced when I first found out about them guys. yep clutch and breaks. I also rebuilt all 4 corners as you put it.
I am a bit surprised about your comments relating to stopping performances. I have
had a number of stop in time or start rebuilding the front end opportunities and found that
my D performs equal to or better than the national standards for stopping distances vs. speed.

I have no experience with the other cars you mention, so I wonder are you comparing cars of equal weight, speed and break surface area? I wonder if the tire design on the compared cars you mention are the same. I discovered that the Goodyear eagles I have on my D perform quite well
on both wet and dray roads. My understanding of the stopping ability of a given car is a function of a combination of factors that include mechanical break parts, tires, inflation, tread design, road surface, hydraulic conditions, including type of fluid, pressure applied by the driver, weight of the
car and it's weight distribution.

I am wondering if your comparisons may be apples and oranges? Perhaps you could
post some of the other comparable qualities of the cars you mentioned. It would be very interesting to learn more.

Lee

CAUTION : Any individual or group discharging a nuclear device or weapon
inside Los Angeles city limits may be fined $500 - and/or serve 30 days in county jail.

It's the LAW!