[DML] Re: Angle drive failure

At 04:16 PM 12/28/99 EST, you wrote:
>In a message dated 12/28/99 11:31:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>support@xxxx writes:

Snip.....................
..............Snip

>That was fifteen years ago. I can't remember lubing them since and
>everything has continued to function fine. The cable lube not only
>lubricates but also displaces water. My guess is that's what has saved me
>from the problems I hear others on the list talking about re: angle drive
>failure. I hope this helps.
>
>Burke

Reply:

Hi Burk,

I found that so far all the replacement cables are packed with 17 year old grease
which if not cleaned out completely and re lubricated (I use the lithium cable grease) the cable has so much resistance to turning that it tears out the square hole in the speedo cap. I also discovered that with out the coat hanger bracket that fits in the break mount bracket of the front left wheel, things like pot holes can shear the angle drives in a single hit. And of course the dry speedo cable while it wont break from use, it will rust out because the angle drive cable end is not water proof and there is a natural low spot in the cable it's self which fills with water.

With the completion of the Angle drive boot I think that all the general problems with the drive, save the new steel gear replacements from PJ Grady, will be solved. I will see about posting some photos next year....

Lee

CAUTION : Any individual or group discharging a nuclear device or weapon
inside Los Angeles city limits may be fined $500 - and/or serve 30 days in county jail.

It's the LAW!