[DML] Re: Angle drive failure

In a message dated 12/28/99 11:31:51 AM Eastern Standard Time,
support@xxxx writes:

<< As most List members know I claim the all time champion of angle drive
busters.

I am now on number 6 angle drive I have ruined and come up with ideas
about angle

drives. Currently I am working on the last item I happen to think will cure
the angle drive problem. It is a molded rubber boot with two hose clamps that
helps stabile the angle drive and seals it from water intrusion. >>

Lee,

I don't know if this will help with your angle drive problems or not, but
here's how I solved problems with mine.

When I first bought my Delorean, new, untitled from a dealer in 1985 the
angle drive was not working. I examined the drive and could see someone had
tried to "repair" it already. Where the squared end of the speedometer cable
fits into the plastic cap the fit was sloppy and short pieces of wire were
jammed in around the squared end in an attempt to make a snug fit. I pulled
the wire pieces out and cut a piece of brass tubing (from a hobby shop) to
the same length as the hole in the cap is deep. I squared the brass tubing
using the squared end of the cable as a guide. I then heated the squared
tubing with a propane torch and forced it into the plastic cap. When the
brass tubing cooled it was secure in the plastic cap and the cable end fit
inside the brass tubing snugly.

Being an old motorcycle rider, I know the importance of proper cable
lubrication. I removed both lengths of the speedometer cable, cleaned them
and gave them a liberal coating of motorcycle cable lube.

That was fifteen years ago. I can't remember lubing them since and
everything has continued to function fine. The cable lube not only
lubricates but also displaces water. My guess is that's what has saved me
from the problems I hear others on the list talking about re: angle drive
failure. I hope this helps.

Burke