[DML] Lost all hope

Hey Guys,

Merry Christmas to all DML'ers out there in cyber space through out
the world!  Hope all is well on your end.

Havent realy posted much in the past couple of months, and I doubt I
will be posting much anymore at all.  I have been slowly loosing
steam of hope in DeLorean ownership.  Been saving since I was ten
years old for the car of my dreams, and now that a decade has passed,
and nearly there (had to buy cars in the mean time) I have decided
that in my current possition, it would be wasteful to plunk down a
good 15 or 16 grand on a car.  Well, not any car, but a car without a
warrenty or guarentee of any kind, other than that it "WILL" break
down, mostly due to P.O. of the car I decided to get, and the fact
that they now are over 20 years old.  If it didnt break down, it
would be a much better canidate in comparison to a 2004/05 current
model, even without such a warrenty.

What realy gets me is people almost always have to add a good 10 or
15 grand on top of the purchase price to make the car a good runner
with few problems.  Exceptions asside, the DML is full of examples of
this.  I can not afford such a car on a 13k year salary, working 40hr
a week including many weeks of overtime.  I'm not joking either.  It
took 11 years to get this money to buy the car, but I have a problem
with wasting it on something that will break down within months, if
I'm in any way lucky.  And then the other maintainance items which
would cost many thousands on top of just keeping it running... not
including anything causmetic.  And what for, 300 or 400 miles a year
(thats all i would dare drive it, the frame rusting away in my dads
barn (where I would keep it!).

Please dont get me wrong at all, I have lived, breathed and idolized
the DeLorean ever since I have first realized its existance on this
great earth.  The DMC-12 is not one of the best automobiles, it is
the BEST out there, and nothing can change my mind on that fact.  But
time takes a toll, and one can not wait forever, or however long it
was.  I have read the DML in entirety many times, i know people
have 'waited' longer than my measly 11 years, even recently a posting
stated apx waiting 20 years before purchasing one.  In my current
financial sistuation, there is no way i can make that decision, even
if I have the cash to outright buy a car on ebay at this moment.

Doesnt make sense in northern Maine anyway, couldnt use it 9 months
of the year for fear of frame rust.  Glad I made the discision to
stop now, I would have been in a much worse state of mind after
buying an expensive car, and find out it needed just as much work as
the initial purchase price.  (Not saying at all that the DMC is a
lemon, but a potential money pit if you get an abused/abandoned model)

Anybody else lurking on the list who actualy has tried to save the
money to buy a DeLorean and is realy discuraged?  Tell your story,
even if you dont come up with the same conclusions I have recently
come to.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Tom Porter :+)
Maine, USA