[DML] Re: Lost all hope

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tom Porter" <treehouse2000us@xxxx>
wrote:

> Hey Guys,

Hey Tom!

Well, I'm with Greg on this, my friend. Here is a bit of advice from
someone who has "been there, done that".

Don't spend the 10-15 grand you've saved up! Just keep saving it. I
realize the temptation to go buy a car (any car) is strong, but if you
spend all that cash on a car you're going to regret it in a few years.
Trust me on this. I assume you've got an old beater or something
you're driving now. Keep driving it. If it's shot and really needs to
be replaced, buy another $1,000 beater and just live with it for now.

Or, do what I did when I was 16: Buy a Fiero, MR-2, or other little
two seater sports car. These cars are cheap ($500 - $3,000 typically),
parts are cheap, and you'll learn to work on cars. You'll also slowly
accumulate the tools you'll need to work on your eventual DeLorean.
Without the many years of learning I did on my various sports cars, I
can tell you I would NOT be able to maintain my DeLorean. A few months
back I pulled the tranny and replaced the clutch & all hydraulics,
cost me ~$800 in parts but would have been $2000 had I paid someone
else to do it (not to mention the headaches when they screwed
something up or took shortcuts like most mechanics seem to do).

See, that's the other thing: Tools & space. You really need a garage
and a good budget for tools. I had to spend a couple hundred bucks on
a nice new jack & set of heavy duty jack stands to perform the clutch
replacement, as my old stuff wasn't up to the task. Right now I'm
diagnosing another problem and need an $80 fuel pressure test kit, and
I'll probably spend another couple hundred bucks on parts by the time
I'm done. How are you going to fix your car when it breaks down (and
it will) when you can't afford the tools or don't have space for them?
You could end up with a car that just sits and rots. The last thing
you want is your $15,000 sitting in a garage, rotting away, unable to
be used because you can't afford to fix it. Too many years of this and
your $15k DeLorean will be an $8k fixer-upper.

> I can not afford such a car on a 13k year salary

Honest truth: You can not afford much of any car on a 13k a year
salary. Please, don't blow this cash on a car. Save it. You'll need it
some day soon. It would make a very nice down payment on a house. Or
invest it in a low-risk account, keep adding to it, and let it grow.

Also, you're not going to make 13k a year for the rest of your life.
As your career and experience progress, so will your salary.
Eventually, you will be able to comfortably afford a DeLorean. Maybe
you'll use this money you've saved up, or maybe you'll have another
source.

Your dream isn't dead, it's just on hold. You've been patient this
long, be patient for a few more years.

-Ryan