RE: [doc] Ford with gull-wing doors/TRUTH about Avantime

RE: [doc] Ford with gull-wing doors/TRUTH about Avantime

I predicted that you'd have something to say about this and I don't want to get into any long-winded debates, but for whatever reason the Avantime went out of production the fact remains that people didn't exactly rush out to buy them.

I saw one at a motor showwhen they'd just come out and had a sit in it and I was frankly appauled by the fact that when the door is shut with the window down you can hear the glass rattle inside the frame.  Perhaps one day the French will learn how to build cars properly that don't have gearboxes that feel like a ruler in some porridge, steering with no feel that's over-assisted, and doors that clang when closed.

And for the record, I didn't say that the Megane is £20k.  I was referring to the Avantime.

As for German Ubersaloons.  Do you not think there's an extremely good reason why people in this country like to buy them?  Because they are subtly stylish as opposed to having angular, hacked at body shapes.  The French can try all they like but they will never topple the German dominated executive saloon market until their product is up to scratch.

Remember the Renault Safrane?  What a success that was against the 3 series.

Regards,

Mike Sumner - 178
1999 BMW E36 Coupe

Claire Usher <claire.usher@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember Mike, I used to work for Renault, so I actually know the TRUTH
about the Renault (France) production strategy for the Avantime; their
niche, concept, luxury coupe model.

The Avantime was only put into production to finish off Renaults 20yr
contract with Matra.  Matra got the contract to build the Espace for Renault
after Peugeot turned down the MPV design in the early 80's saying no one
would buy it (who's copying who now?).  The Espace IV (built by Renault)
went into production in 2003, so Avantime carried on until 2004 as it was
based on the Espace III platform, which like the Espace's before was built
by Matra.

>From a financial point of view, it was more cost effective for Renault to
get Matra to build a small volume model like Avantime for a year then pay
them off for the final year of their contract.  Phill Wright, who owns one
of these fantastic cars (and I have been privileged to have a small drive of
it) will back this up.  It's a true future classic, and Phill, if you ever
want to sell yours, give us first refusal!!! :o)

If anyone wants to see any more Avantime pictures, click on
http://www.avantime-gallery.org/  some lovely pics there - including Phill's
car.

£20k for a Megane!!  Yes, if you buy one of the fantastic Renaultsport 225
models (now there's a kick in the back when you hit the 'loud

Vel Satis Mk II has continued in production in LHD only as it was very
successful in Europe compared to the UK (which traditionally has never
bought large European luxury cars with the exception of German
'Ubersaloons').

Claire
#2292 + 2 Vauxhalls (and I'd have another Renault any day!)
DOC171