RE: [DMCForum] Re: the EV1... vs Diesel

>Heh... Funny. Your points are tongue-in-cheek, so I hope you don't
>really consider any of this to be a drawback to developing these
>concepts further.

>> Seriously, I am a little confused, though- maybe you guys can help.
>>Is the conversation goal here to pay less for energy, or to save the
>>environment and the world?

>Yeah, I think that's the problem. I'm not nearly as interested in
>making current energy sources cheaper (or creating domestic jobs) as I
>am in developing no-brainer alternate energy technology into something
>economically feasible for the world. From the look of it, there's no
>reason why we can't reduce our footprint on the environment at the
>same time.

You underestimate me. In reference to cars, the world has had the technology
for 100 years to solve the energy problem we have today, but that same world
was not willing to make the sacrifice necessary to improve the situtation.
Electric cars are just now becoming feasible using lithium battery banks,
high voltage recharge systems, and innovations like regenerative braking.
The controllers used by those cars are highly sophisticated (read:
computerized) and that kind of thinking was not even available to GM in the
90's with their EV1.

If someone put their mind to it, they could reinvent the steam-powered cars
of the 20's using today's technology- those cars of the 20's were definitely
powerful enough for today's motorist, and last time I checked water cost
less than gas. The nuclear cars, if they could ever exist, would use fission
just to boil water and turn a steam turbine for propulsion. An electric
element is much for feasible than a nuclear reactor, especially in a small,
moving vehicle. And really, though, hydrogen is a logical choice for fuel,
too, except containing it is a bitch and it's volatility when exposed to
oxygen.

I sincerely believe that the solution the world turns to will not be some
radical new technology, but something that has been "on the shelf" for
years. Industry is smart enough to have a transition plan.

Less tongue in cheek, a little more real.

Eric Itzel

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: