RE: [DMCForum] Re: the EV1... vs Diesel

I forgot how much fun this Forum was to read... I love talking about this
stuff!

>How is drilling ANWR any different than drilling oil anywhere else? The
>environment can be just as harmed in ANWR as anywhere else. Economic sense
>- more oil on the world market makes prices go down. That oil drilled right
>here at home is even better, plus we wouldn't be risking the lives of fish
>to ship it across the ocean. We wouldn't have the added cost of building
>and maintaining the ships.

In regards to shipping the extracted oil- those ships, like most of the
worlds commercial fleets, require oil. Last time I checked, Carnival doesn't
have a "Hybrid" cruise liner. Every car in the world can be converted to an
non-oil alternative energy, but I don't think it will make much difference
to the environment if the other oil consuming machines, like ships, don't
follow suit.

How big of a difference is the efficiency of gasoline versus E85 when you
consider that overall, the
internal combustion engine loses more energy than it puts out?

>A Toyota Pious blew past me on the interstate
>once. I tried to catch up just to see how fast he was going and I gave up
>at 90 MPH.

I guess Al Gore's kid is up to it again...  Actually, I was stuck in traffic
the other day and I realized that having an electric motor moving me in 5ft
spurts every few minutes would be convienent, but only in that kind of
situation. I can see a place for Hybrids, and if they weren't so damn ugly I
might buy one. Now I would definitely buy that Tesla Roadster to drive
around- it's technology, especially it's range, actually looks very
practical for a commuter or business vehicle.

I think the Hybrids are a stop-gap for the Automakers because the practical
electric car is still too expensive to be marketable. In time, as battery
systems become more sophisticated, EV's will be mainstream.

>I will have to find that study that seems to show the source is not
>dwindling. Also, if engine efficiency is increased then oil will not be
>"dirty". I am pretty sure any energy source you can come up with can, in
>some way or another, be found to be "dirty".

In the future, we'll have steam-powered hybrids that use an electric heating
element to flash-boil the water, but in the process it's engine will cause
the hot water spillover and steam exhaust to threaten the roadside moss and
lichen community, causing harm to the worlds fields and forests. Or, the
Russians will invent a nuclear car that has faulty water pumps that fail to
cool the reaction chamber, causing a cylinder head to crack and will release
radiation into the air. And don't get me started about hydrogen cars made by
the Germans... :)

Seriously, I am a little confused, though- maybe you guys can help. Is the
conversation goal here to pay less for energy, or to save the environment
and the world?

.
Eric Itzel
vin 4433- taking her for a ride today for the first time in months!

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)