[DMCForum] Re: the EV1... vs Diesel

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Eric G. Itzel" <ericsdmcmail@...> wrote:
> I forgot how much fun this Forum was to read... I love talking about
this
> stuff!

Right on.  Me too. :)

> In regards to shipping the extracted oil- those ships, like most of the
> worlds commercial fleets, require oil. Last time I checked, Carnival
doesn't
> have a "Hybrid" cruise liner. Every car in the world can be
converted to an
> non-oil alternative energy, but I don't think it will make much
difference
> to the environment if the other oil consuming machines, like ships,
don't
> follow suit.

Yup.  It will take time, which is why we need to start thinking about
this stuff now, instead of later when we have no choice and it's too
late to do it comfortably.

> I think the Hybrids are a stop-gap for the Automakers because the
practical
> electric car is still too expensive to be marketable. In time, as
battery
> systems become more sophisticated, EV's will be mainstream.

Let's hope so.  EVs are much more flexible in terms of energy sources,
because they aren't tied to any specific technology (except for
electricity, which has very few fundamental problems).  Even the
batteries can be easily changed out for more efficient versions as
they are developed.

> >I will have to find that study that seems to show the source is not
> >dwindling. Also, if engine efficiency is increased then oil will not be
> >"dirty". I am pretty sure any energy source you can come up with
can, in
> >some way or another, be found to be "dirty".
>
> In the future, we'll have steam-powered hybrids that use an electric
heating
> element to flash-boil the water, but in the process it's engine will
cause
> the hot water spillover and steam exhaust to threaten the roadside
moss and
> lichen community, causing harm to the worlds fields and forests. Or, the
> Russians will invent a nuclear car that has faulty water pumps that
fail to
> cool the reaction chamber, causing a cylinder head to crack and will
release
> radiation into the air. And don't get me started about hydrogen cars
made by
> the Germans... :)

Heh...  Funny.  Your points are tongue-in-cheek, so I hope you don't
really consider any of this to be a drawback to developing these
concepts further.

> Seriously, I am a little confused, though- maybe you guys can help.
Is the
> conversation goal here to pay less for energy, or to save the
environment
> and the world?

Yeah, I think that's the problem.  I'm not nearly as interested in
making current energy sources cheaper (or creating domestic jobs) as I
am in developing no-brainer alternate energy technology into something
economically feasible for the world.  From the look of it, there's no
reason why we can't reduce our footprint on the environment at the
same time.

Regards,
Jon Heese

<*> Your email settings: