[DMCForum] Re: the EV1... vs Diesel

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "timnagin" <timnagin@...> wrote:

> I already replied to the numbers for drilling ANWR and other places.
 But,
> why do we need to stop using oil?  If we completely, 100%, stop using
> foreign oil why wouldn't that be ok?

Why do we need to stop using oil?  Uhhh... because it contributes to
atmospheric carbon, water pollution, acid rain, (potentially) global
warming trends, government and corporate corruption (although, to be
fair, that's not the technology's fault), it's horribly "unclean" when
compared to "alternate" energy sources, it's non-renewable and
dwindling, and it's not the only thing out there anymore...

I'm not sure what using exclusively domestic oil will do, except lower
domestic petroleum prices, impact the environment in some of the
proposed drilling sites, and create domestic jobs.  None of these
effects address any of my concerns (in a positive way).

> I read a study not too long ago, but can't find it right now, where
they are
> saying oil is not just from dinos but is constantly being made by
the earth.
> If it is a renewable energy source, why not use it?  Even more so,
if it is
> renewable and does so on its own?

Of course you know that fossil fuels are not just made from dinosaurs.
 All formerly living matter deposited in the earth's crust in any
concentration contributes to fossil fuels.  That's plants, animals,
bacteria, etc.  But that's it.  Without life, there are no fossil fuels.

Sure, you could say that the earth creates fossil fuels on its own.
After all, there was a buttload more coal, oil and gas in the earth
before we came around, so obviously, we didn't make it.

Still, in order to be considered "renewable", an energy source must
not be depletable.  That is, in the case of a physical fuel, it must
be produced faster than it is consumed.  If the earth (or more
accurately, its collection of dead life-forms) is producing fossil
fuels faster than we consume them, this is shocking news to me.  I
would be very interested in reading that study.

Furthermore, even if this were true, and fossil fuels were now
consider renewable, there are plenty of very compelling reasons to NOT
use it, as I mentioned already above.  Its growing scarcity is the
only thing guaranteed to ween us off it, but it's the least compelling
reason in my mind for us to look to other energy sources.

Regards,
Jon Heese

Behalf
> Of jonheese
> Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 1:42 PM
> To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [DMCForum] Re: the EV1... vs Diesel
>

> Yeah, I can go for that.
>
> But keep in mind that we already do drill for oil and NG here. There
> are 3 oil derricks within 3 miles of my house (I live in Houston).
> From what I've read (sorry, I can't find the report right now), the
> amount of oil expected to come out of ANWR would only compose about
> 25% of our domestic petroleum production. That means it would only be
> a 50% increase, domestically speaking.
>
> I'm not against drilling in ANWR, but I do think it's a very small
> band-aid on a very big problem.
>
> Regards,
> Jon Heese
>
> --- In DMCForum@yahoogroup <mailto:DMCForum%40yahoogroups.com>
s.com, "Ryan
> Wright" <ryanpwright@> wrote:
> >
> > Jon,
> >
> > On 9/12/07, jonheese <jonheese@> wrote:
> > >
> > > The answer is not to desperately empty the cupboard, the answer
is to
> > > find other sources of energy.
> >
> > The answer is both, IMHO. I think we need to be drilling at home
> > immediately to reduce our oil imports while we work on a useful
> > alternative energy source. There are millions of oil burning cars on
> > the road and they aren't going away anytime soon. Even if we stopped
> > selling them today, there are still going to be millions on the roads
> > in 15 more years. So we need to be able to power them and it would be
> > best if we did so of our own accord, instead of importing from
> > unstable countries.
> >
> > Granted we'll never eliminate our dependence on foreign oil but at
> > least we could reduce it. At the same time we need to be pushing as
> > hard as we can to get off of oil all together.
> >
> > -Ryan

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: