RE: [DMCForum] Re: the EV1... vs Diesel

>Why do we need to stop using oil? Uhhh... because it contributes to
>atmospheric carbon, water pollution, acid rain, (potentially) global
>warming trends, government and corporate corruption (although, to be
>fair, that's not the technology's fault), it's horribly "unclean" when
>compared to "alternate" energy sources, it's non-renewable and
>dwindling, and it's not the only thing out there anymore...

So does your breathing, eating and moose farts.  You stated exactly what I
did, in that anything else that comes along to replace Big Oil is going to
have the same thing happen - government and corporate corruption.  Getting
rid of oil will not solve those last two.

>I'm not sure what using exclusively domestic oil will do, except lower
>domestic petroleum prices, impact the environment in some of the
>proposed drilling sites, and create domestic jobs. None of these
>effects address any of my concerns (in a positive way).

Lowering domestic petroleum prices and creating jobs wouldn't be a good
thing?  Any new source of energy is going to have an environmental impact
unless we find a ZPM.

>Still, in order to be considered "renewable", an energy source must
>not be depletable. That is, in the case of a physical fuel, it must
>be produced faster than it is consumed. If the earth (or more
>accurately, its collection of dead life-forms) is producing fossil
>fuels faster than we consume them, this is shocking news to me. I
>would be very interested in reading that study.

You contradicted yourself here.  If it is renewable it is renewable.  We may
be consuming it faster than it can create itself, but it is renewing.  If it
is, then it takes no action from us to do so like planting trees which means
our total carbon impact is less.  To plant trees we need trucks and tools
and people, plus all of the things associated with making those work.  I
will have to look for the study I read and post a link.  It's been awhile.

>Furthermore, even if this were true, and fossil fuels were now
>consider renewable, there are plenty of very compelling reasons to NOT
>use it, as I mentioned already above. Its growing scarcity is the
>only thing guaranteed to ween us off it, but it's the least compelling
>reason in my mind for us to look to other energy sources.

As I mentioned before, if the scarcity is the only thing keeping us from
implementing other sources then we should use it up as fast as possible to
force a change.  As long as it is cheaper to use oil we will continue to do
so.  It's very basic economics.

Greg

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional