RE: [DMCForum] Re: the EV1... vs Diesel

>Where? ANWR? There are conflicting estimate of how much oil and NG
>there are in ANWR, how much we can actually get out, and how long that
>would last us if were swore off foreign oil. I've read 3 months, 9
>months, 2 years... Suffice it to say that it is not anywhere close to
>the 20-30-40 years estimated to be left in the rest of the world.

Even if the numbers were extremely low, wouldn't that at least reduce our
dependence on some foreign oil sources?  Even if it is only 5%, but I am
sure it would be much higher than that, we will be reducing our reliance by
that amount.  That also means more jobs within the US and less outsourcing,
right?

>Those are vehicles that run on both regular unleaded AND E85. I think
>Bob was talking about E85-only engines. Obviously, the compression
>ratio of a FF engine is the same as an ordinary gasoline engine.

That would be a FFV, or Flexible Fuel Vehicle, like my old 1999 Ranger.  E85
is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline so my understanding is any E85 capable
vehicle can run on just gasoline.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Here is a short list of current E85 vehicles.

http://www.e85fuel.com/news/090407_2008_ffv_release/090407_2008_ffv_release.
htm

>>> Electric vehicles with solar, wind, PV or nuclear generation have
>>> an almost carbon neutral balance. Both of these technologies need
>>> to be pursued-quickly.
>>
>> Only if you completely ignore the manufacturing, shipping,
>> advertising, maintenance and everything else associated with it.
>
>What do you mean? These facets only contribute to carbon sinks if the
>technology used by them do. I think Bob is talking about a paradigm
>shift to new technology. That is, manufacturing, shipping,
>advertising and maintenance would use the newer, cleaner,
>carbon-neutral energy as well.

Sure, but right now most used to make and transport E85 is the old way.
Right?

Greg

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional