Re: [DMCForum] missfire

Good call, Rob. My car had the same problem when I bought it. Paul,
I'll bet if you take a hard turn you can reproduce the problem
quickly.

Easy test, fill up the tank and see if it goes away.

This isn't a terribly hard fix, it's just not fun. Drive the car as
much as possible to get fuel out of the tank. Open up the panels in
the trunk to gain access to the fuel tank - if you pull both the fuel
pump and the level sensor you'll be able to work in there easier. It
helps if you have small hands. Once in you'll probably see the problem
immediately (my fuel pickup hose was almost completely dissolved).
Replace the necessary parts and you're fixed.

Word to the wise: Supply plenty of ventilation. I suggest doing this
in a driveway, NOT a garage. I have powerful forced air ventilation in
my garage for the purposes of fiberglassing hovercraft panels and did
this safely there, but I don't recommend it unless you know what
you're doing. Explosive fumes and all. ;-) Also, a nice big pair of
rubber gloves that go at least to your elbow, something that won't
dissolve quickly in gas. I actually used my wife's yellow dishwashing
gloves (I now own a pair of yellow dishwashing gloves. Funny how that
works). Lastly, save yourself a lot of headache (literally) and get a
full respirator. No, not a dust mask, a respirator. You can get one
for about $30 at Home Depot.

-Ryan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/HliolB/TM