RE: [DMCForum] Re: Sirius radio..

Sorry I didn't realize you really though he stole these units.  Let me give
you a situation.

I process scrap Aluminum in my business, well it IS the business.  We melt
about 600,000 Lbs. of auto rims each month.  In the course of my travels I
find certain scrap yards that have brand new aftermarket rims worth
thousands of dollars street value each.  They were sold because they were
end of year models and they only had one left in inventory (the shelf model
like these radios VB talks about -- demo units).  They can either try to
return them to the manufacturer (the manufacturer makes them buy the one for
the shelf), for a lower price, paying shipping along the way.  Or they can
sell them as scrap and cut their losses.  I can tell you I pay about $12.00
per wheel I buy.  Now if I were as enterprising as VB or had the time I
could eBay these wheels (some are still in the boxes), and make some extra
cash, but alas my furnace is hungry and I have no time for this.

So if I were to research the models and sell them on eBay, am I also selling
stolen property?  In the case of VB, he is getting an activated unit that
sometimes still has some life left in the paid subscription for whatever
reason.  These were demo units that were no longer needed or were replaced
by newer models.  He takes them and sells them at a profit I am sure, but
what business doesn't?  If I understand your opinion, then Big Lots, Value
City, TJ Mix, and any other closeout stores are selling stolen property
because they are getting them for a discount and reselling them.  Maybe VB
pays nothing for them, but for some retailers it is easier to let them go
for nothing than to try to sell the stuff and waste their time for pennies
on the dollar.

Jack Stiefel - Tampa, Fl
DMC Vin 03461 1981 Grey 5 speed
DMC Vin 16879 1983 Black 5 speed