[DMCForum] Kerosene

So I settled on a portable Kerosene convection heater for my garage,
which will get me by until I buy some property and build a nice shop
in the next few years. I had some questions, though, and am hoping
someone here might know enough to answer them.

1. How long does Kerosene stay usable? I read information saying it
would keep for years, but I had a little leftover in my forced air
heater from last year and it did NOT burn well. Stunk up the place
real bad. I put new Kerosene in and that solved it. Was this a problem
with the way I stored it (small quantity, a gallon or two in the
bottom of the tank), or just a general problem with storing Kerosene?

2. Where might I look to buy Kerosene for a reasonable price? I only
use ~10 gallons a season since I only heat the garage when I'm using
it for more than a few minutes. My problem is the only place I know to
buy the stuff is in 5 gallon jugs at Home Depot and/or Lowes. It's $6
a gallon! Seems ridiculously expensive to me.

-Ryan