Re: [DMCForum] Cop stories

On 12/12/05, Marc Levy <malevy_nj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> With all due respect to the officers on this list, I
> have a problem with someone who (for whatever reason)
> would sit hidden on the side of a highway and pull
> people over for going 10 or even 15 MPH above the
> speed limit.  The time would be better served
> patrolling local neighborhoods where the presence
> alone will deter all sorts of crimes and violations.
> The high-school kids drive down the block in front of
> my house at 50mph (25mph zone), while throwing
> cigarettes out the window and they know they will
> never get a ticket...  Of course, patrolling the local
> streets is a bit more work than sitting idle on the
> side of a highway.

Hey, I agree with you completely, but: You do realize it's not the
cop's call, right? I don't know what it's like in other states but we
have local cops and state patrol. State patrol gets the highways. The
guy is sitting on the side of the highway because his boss told him
to.

Yeah, I think it's crap. Nailing me for running 80 in a 70 when the
rest of traffic is moving at 80-85+ is BS. (yeah, this has happened to
me on several occasions; I was picked out of a crowd moving at the
same speed or faster because I was driving a bright red sports car)
It's not about safety, it's about revenue.

Still, I'm doing all I can to make sure he knows I'm not going to
shoot him, or try to elude him, etc. Give him the respect he demands
(whether he deserves it or not is immaterial) and I'll be on my way.

> Meanwhile, it sounds to me like you were pulled over
> because the cop wanted a closer look at your car.

Probably. And, really, I don't care. Assuming I wasn't running late
for an appointment, a cop could pull me over and say, "Really, you did
nothing wrong, I just wanted to check out your car" and it wouldn't
bother me. It's an abuse of power and I know it should bother me, but
I also know that much more serious abuses of power are routine amongst
people who have power so in the grand scheme of things, this is
nothing. And in a city where only 2 DeLoreans are known to exist, one
of which is driven daily and has TIMELES on the plate and therefore
can't be missed by anyone, I'll take every opportunity to make friends
with the local cops. Next time I drive by a bit over the limit I'm
betting he lets me slide.

--
- Ryan

Dmc Dml Dmc fz10