Re: [DMCForum] Cop stories

While I agree with your tips below, consideration for
the officer has never won me any points with them.
Never the less, I still follow those guidelines when I
am pulled over.  The cop is a human being with a
family and life outside of "work", and should be
treated with the same consideration as anyone else
even though these stops tend to be adversarial by
design.

With all due respect to the officers on this list, I
have a problem with someone who (for whatever reason)
would sit hidden on the side of a highway and pull
people over for going 10 or even 15 MPH above the
speed limit.  The time would be better served
patrolling local neighborhoods where the presence
alone will deter all sorts of crimes and violations.
The high-school kids drive down the block in front of
my house at 50mph (25mph zone), while throwing
cigarettes out the window and they know they will
never get a ticket...  Of course, patrolling the local
streets is a bit more work than sitting idle on the
side of a highway.

Meanwhile, it sounds to me like you were pulled over
because the cop wanted a closer look at your car.
Blinker light to bright?  If you were in your SUV you
could have no brake lights and he would not have
stopped you.

If I had a dime for every SUV tossing a cigarette out
the window, AND driving with at least one brake light
out.... I could retire.

--- Ryan Wright <ryanpwright@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
> Some tips I learned from an officer on one of the
> Fiero lists years
> ago: Get way the heck off the road. If the officer
> has plenty of space
> between you and the road, he doesn't have to worry
> about getting hit
> by another driver and thus he's more likely to
> engage you in small
> talk and listen to any explanation you might have.
> Turn the engine off
> so he knows you won't try to run. Also, don't be
> fumbling around for
> your documentation like an idiot. The guy
> approaching your car has
> nightmares about some crackhead shooting him to get
> out of a $60
> speeding ticket and every time he approaches a
> vehicle, part of him is
> fearing for his life. If he sees you doing anything
> he's going to
> assume you're going for a weapon. So give him a
> break: Roll the window
> down and keep your hands where he can see them. On
> top of the steering
> wheel, on your head, anywhere. If you have a car
> full of people they
> should all keep their hands visible. Better, have
> everyone stick their
> hands out the window. It's silly but the cop will
> get a good laugh and
> will be immediately comfortable with you, which
> often means you won't
> get a ticket.
<SNIP>