Re: [DMCForum] Hummer.

On 11/28/05, Marc Levy <malevy_nj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Having spoken to a number of owners of "flashy cars",
> I'd say there is usually some shred of the "look at
> me" factor..

Sure, I won't deny that. When you have a unique vehicle, people are
going to look, and most owners like that. That doesn't mean they care
about impressing complete strangers.

> Thinking about some specific
> conversations with people that own vehicles like
> Lambo's, Hummers, and the like buy them BECAUSE the
> are expensive.

Disclaimer: I've never hung out with someone who is exceedingly rich.
Wealthy, yes. Someone who drops $400k on a Lamborghini or $100k on a
necklace for the wife and doesn't blink? No. So, perhaps people with
that kind of money really do buy things just to impress others.

But I doubt it. People with that kind of money are just, well, normal
people who happen to have a lot of money. And I don't think most
people really buy things purely for the "look at me, I'm so cool"
factor.

> If you can't admit that PART of the reason for owning
> a DeLorean is the uniqueness and "look at me" factor,
> then your lying to yourself.  You know you love then
> people crowd around and ask questions and tell you
> what a cool car you have.

Most of the reason I bought my DeLorean was the uniqueness. Not the
"look at me" factor - although I admit they come hand-in-hand, that
side of it wasn't my motivation. Was it yours? I'd bet you bought the
car because you liked it, same as the rest of us; not because you
wanted strangers to like you.

Do I like it when people crowd around and ask questions? Sure. Not
because I get some sort of pleasure out of being "cool" - what do I
care, they're strangers, I'll probably never see them again - but
rather because I enjoy sharing the car.

I do appreciate the "stylish" image it portrays. I feel it compliments
who I am, or perhaps who I think I am, or want to be.

--
- Ryan