RE: [DMCForum] Re: UTI

While it is true more foreign students are studying engineering, or more
correctly the hard sciences, there is still a lack of people in these
fields.  I think some of it has to do with how not glamorous it is.  You
probably won't become a millionaire as a biologist.

American students seem to steer clear of the hard sciences.  It was the same
way when I was in college / university X years ago.  The only time it was
difficult getting in any engineering or science class was in the first year.
Almost all first year classes weed out those not really interested in
engineering.

The introductory classes, as with most other degrees, are getting you
acquainted with the basics.  Your early engineering classes will be most all
math, science, and mechanics and can seem very dry.  Once you get past all
of that it can get really fun.

I am not very good at math either but had little problem in my engineering
courses.  For example, I fully understood mechanics but when my calculus
instructor would present a similar problem in his terms, which were geared
towards general math and not necessarily engineering, I struggled.  I
literally took an engineering course in mechanics and a high level calculus
class with the exact same theory being explained, albeit in a different
manner, and understood one easily and the other was a pain in my ass.

You can do it, if you want to.  If you really are not interested in it, or
are just attracted by the image of engineering, you may not get through it.
You are the only one who can make that decision.  A few "counselors" said I
should give up on engineering as well.  I thought wow, how supportive.  Why
don't I go into something that everyone else is doing so I can reduce my
future options.

You should also look into Co-Op if your college has this program.  I did a
quick Google search and found the average starting salary for an EE is about
$50k.  Fresh out of college that will feel like a million bucks. :)

Greg