[DMCForum] Re: UTI

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "timnagin" <timnagin@xxxx> wrote:

> While it is true more foreign students are studying engineering, or more
> correctly the hard sciences, there is still a lack of people in these
> fields.  I think some of it has to do with how not glamorous it is.  You
> probably won't become a millionaire as a biologist.
>
> American students seem to steer clear of the hard sciences.
<SNIP>

It's not that American students steer clear of hard sciences because
of the lack of glamour. While I'm sure that may be true up to a
certain degree, who wants to work for a corporation when they could
easily cut your job, and turn it over to grad students who'll work for
a lot less, because they're just starting out, and are hungry for
work? Boeing, IBM, GM, everyone is cutting jobs for engineers. And
even then if you get into something like Civil Engineering, you've got
to move to a boom town that's still expanding their city, and has a
steady supply of fresh construction projects. Job security plays a
whole lot into what kind of a career you choose.

There may *technicly* be a lack of workers in these fields, but there
are plenty of grad students that are turned loose to undercut current
people in the job market on labor price, and will take on a larger
workload to compensate for fewer workers.

Besides, if we keep telling students to enter into a career field
where there are not enough workers, we'll end up with a surplus, and
another generation with wasted degrees in a saturated job market.

Another factor for foriegn students to enter into such degrees as
engineering is because of where they come from. Study so damn hard to
get a complicated degree for a decent paying job, or a lifetime of
panhandling and brutal call centers. Hmm... That's a helluva
motivation that not allot of Americans have to endure.

We drop out of college, we might have to move back in with Mom and
Dad. They drop out, it's the slums and slave-like labor for pennies.

-Robert

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS