[DMCForum] Re: CENSORSHIP

Here is a quick solution to the "Walt Quote", and the current dilemma
we have:

Dismiss what has happened in the past, and let's all move forward.

While it is important to remember the past so that we can learn from
our prior mistakes (such as my own need to continue an unpopular topic
that alienated a few people, for personal reasons), let's not focus on
trying to interpret past events and quotes that have no bearing on our
future. In other words, let's start fresh, and base our modern ideals
off of our present and future needs as we see them, rather than to try
and maintain past nostalgia.

And if none of this works out, well, we'll just deal with these things
as they come along.

-Robert

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jon Heese <dmcforum@xxxx> wrote:
> It's unfortunate that Walt used a subjective word like "moderation"
> there (of course, he meant "in moderate amounts", not "via a moderated
> format").  It's subjective because it doesn't specify explicitly the
> degree of censorship that he considers "moderate".  Taken out of
> context, anyone could interpret this one line to mean any degree they
> wish.  Digested with the whole post, it's more clear that he didn't
> intend for people to be banned when they discuss arbitrary topics, even
> if the majority of the group's active members seem to indicate that
they
> want that.
>
> Regards,
> Jon Heese