[DMCForum] Sandblasting DeLorean frame - advice needed.

[DMCForum] Sandblasting DeLorean frame - advice needed.

Hi all,

As some of you might know, I'm doing a frame restoration on my
DeLorean. The project has been very delayed with basically a lack of
time on my part, but I'm now back working on the project again and
hoping to complete as soon as possible. I have to have this car back
together for Eurofest next year!

I've documented the progress so far on the website
http://www.delorean.ie - see tech section.

It hasn't been updated in a while, I've lots of pics to upload, but
again, time. I just wish I had a time machine :)

Anyway, to get to the point. If anyone has sandblasted or otherwise
stripped their DeLorean frame of epoxy before, I would really
appreciate some advice.

I have given the frame to a guy who does paint stripping and
sandblasting. He has worked on car frames before, including Lotus
frames. He says in his 30 years in the business, he has never seen a
paint/epoxy as tough as on my DeLorean frame! He says he's very
impressed with the paint, but thinks the reason DeLorean frames begin
to rust under the epoxy is due to poor preparation before the frames
were originally epoxy dipped.

Obviously, the epoxy will come off easily in the rusted areas at the
front of the frame, but where the epoxy is still in new condition
(80% of the frame), he is having a difficult time removing it.

He has tried very strong paint stripping solutions on it, but they
have only made a minor difference to the epoxy. Next week he is
thinking of using an ultra strong paint stripper used for removing
marine grade paint.

In terms of sandblasting, he has tried this also on one area of the
frame, but found it very (very very) slow to come off. He says he is
actually concerned about the frame warping from such intense
sandblasting if he continues. I told him I've heard of DeLorean
frames being sandblasted before and never heard of warpage, so he
asked if I could find out some details of the method.

What we need to know is:

1. What air pressure do you use?
2. What is the volume of air used?
3. What size nozzle is used? 5/16?
4. What grade of sand is used?
5. How long does it typically take to sandblast a DeLorean frame with
good epoxy?
6. If he uses the max output of his compressor to remove the epoxy,
is there a danger of warping the frame in places?
7. Do you pre-treat the frame with any paint stripper before
sandblasting?
8. Any other info or advice? All very much appreciated.

I exchanged a few emails with Ed Uding a few months ago regarding his
method of stripping DeLorean frames - thermal paint removal.
Basically they have an oven that goes up to 500 degrees centigrade,
but with no oxygen in the oven. For this reason, the frame can be
placed in the oven without the epoxy catching fire, and it simply
melts off. Sounds like the best way to go, but unfortunately we do
not have this facility in Ireland.

The closest thing to Ed's method in Ireland is an industrial
powdercoating oven. Would it be any use running my DeLorean frame
through an industrial powdercoating oven, which is only 180 degrees
centigrade? Would this remove or even loosen the epoxy?

I spoke with my powdercoating friend about this possibility, but he
thinks that as soon as the chassis comes out the other side of the
oven, the epoxy will quickly cool and harden onto the frame again,
and it would achieve nothing. Any thoughts on this?

If any of the full service vendors who sandblast then powder coat
DeLorean frames as part of their restorations could lend me some
advice I'd really appreciate it.

Hopefully someone can help!

Thanks,
John Dore, Ireland.