[DMCForum] Re: OK, now I am going to get my ass KICKED!

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Cory" <mrdelorean88@xxxx> wrote:
> Okay, Bad side of Cory emerging here. You dont get it!! Imagine if you
> will, so that means use that thing inside your head called a brain and
> think logically. Where would things be if religon didnt even exsist?
> Science would be the most effected. So what religion isnt mentioned in
> the Constitution, BUT IT HELPED IT! You guys are missing that point.
> There my point has come across.

No, the point wasn't missed at all on my side. See, the thing is that
while religion has influenced many people into decision making in
their lives (with regards to politicians since we are discussing the
government), our society is NOT based upon religion. We may be
comprised of people who use religious guidelines in their everyday
life as individual citizens, but the construct of society excludes
religion as an actual founding, and functioning principal.

Religion is a good thing. And yes, while you can justifiably consider
it to be the "Opiate of the masses.", that is the fact in itself as to
why it is so needed. The bottom line is that we have to control
individuals. A solid comparison is that of a sanitarium. You've got
people who are at a high risk for violence in a confined area. So you
keep them medicated, to keep them docile. Just as we have to keep
violent prone humanbeings in line with fears of retribution.

When I was in high school, they asked us a question in one of my
classes on day. And I'm going to ask this same question of everyone
here. But I do want to warn you; Before you read the paragraph after
the question, I'd like you to first answer this question:

"Why should you not steal something that belongs to someone else?"

The answer is of course because it is wrong to do. However, the
overwhelming #1 answer given by highschool students, and the same
instinctual one that I said was, "Because you can get caught." And now
you know the reason for religion. We need some sort of system in place
that keeps people in line, who would otherwise just be a bunch of
sociopaths running around, with no regard to the wellbeing of others
when they hurt them. So when jail time, or other punishments do not
convince a person that they shouldn't commit a crime, the wrath of
God, and the Lake of Fire may just work...

But mostly, it's the fellowship concept that's great. It helps to
foster a social environment so that people can remain active within
their communities. And peer pressure can also work very well in
convincing a person to act out their lives properly, who might
otherwise not have.

The problem with religion is that it's benefits are also it's
downfall. First you have corrupt leaders, who seek out congregations
for financial, and moral exploitation. People with ill-will in their
hearts, who simply want others to carry out their misguided ideals.
And others who are more attracted to the position of weilding power,
rather than leading their followers to do a beneficial good for all.

The other problem with is with certain religions who rather than
cultivating the good in humans, simply exacerbates the violent
tendancies of man. Sometimes it's for financial gain. Like
Catholocisim, and Judism. "So, you did something wrong, eh? Well fuck
it! Yes that's right, all your sin's forgiven, for simply paying a
small pennance! Yes, that's right, with us, you can do no wrong! But
remember, only we can sell you forgiveness!"

Other times, you have religions like Hinduism that simply seek to
exploit the poor, in an effort to keep the privileged eliet in power.
"So, you're born into abysmal conditions, and life sucks. You've got a
life of child labor, possible prostitution, and eternal begging. Well
sure that sucks, but remember, the more good you do, the better your
next life will be, when you're deemed worthy to be incarnated as a
Brahman!"

Now you can argue that these are only the darksides of religion, and
don't reflect alot of the good that can be, and is actually
accomplished with them. And I would fully agree with you on that.
However, because there are these downfalls, we should NEVER base the
laws and structure of our society on religion, or religious beliefs.
You can use the urge to do good to potentially influence your
decisions, but they should not absolutely rule them. And things like
this are EXACTLY what the Founding Fathers of our nation had in mind.

If we were to try and let religion absolutely rule us, we might as
well restructure ourselves into a dictatorship, and stage a coup to
get a kind and gentle ruler into power for life.

-Robert

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS