Re: [DMCForum] Re: Ripped Off

On 7/18/05, Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So you protect your life, liberty and property by shooting someone who
> infringes apon it.
>
> So that's one dead criminal vs one alive criminal. You may argue the
> former is better. I disagree

You're looking at it the wrong way: It's one dead criminal vs. one (or
more) dead innocents. You're damn right I'll argue the former is
better.

See, in most U.S. states, you aren't allowed to use lethal force
against somebody unless there is imminent danger of serious bodily
harm against yourself or another person. Therefore, I'm only allowed
to kill a criminal if he's got a weapon and is threatening to use it
on someone. In that context, I'm choosing to take his life to spare
the life of his victim. I see that as a good thing. All life is not
equal, and a criminal is worth significantly less than an innocent
person on my scale.

Some states are more lenient than others, some are more strict. But,
the above is generally the rule over here, and I like that. I think
it's right, and I wouldn't hesitate to take advantage of it if I were
ever placed into such a situation.

-Ryan

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS