Re: [DMCForum] Re: Ripped Off

On 7/18/05, Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> One answer off the top of my head is that these type of statistics
> showing an increase "year on year" never seem to account for an
> increasing poulation...
>
> Martin

"In addition, when Great Britain banned the sale and ownership of
handguns in 1997, crime rates rose dramatically in the following year.
As Doctor Timothy Wheeler point out, in 1998, BBC News reported that
violence against a person rose by 16% and sexual offenses rose by
4.5%. The robbery rate skyrocketed by 26%; violent crimes increased
16% in a single year."
http://www.essays.cc/free_essays/d5/arn249.shtml

Did your population increase 26% in a single year?

"According to economist John Lott of the American Enterprise
Institute, the violent crime rate has risen 69 percent since 1996,
with robbery rising 45 percent and murders rising 54 percent. This is
even more alarming when you consider that, from 1993 to 1997, armed
robberies had fallen by 50 percent."
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3623/is_200502/ai_n9482722

Did your population increase 69% since 1996?

Even if you take population increases into account, violent crimes
have risen dramatically everywhere handguns have been banned.

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS