[DMCForum] Re: Restoring interior trim... What to use?

[DMCForum] Re: Restoring interior trim... What to use?

Andrew,

That looks really nice. I've heard that the flat black comes out
looking great, and the gloss black gives you a permanent "Armor All"
look to the vinyl.

Where did you buy the plastik cote stuff, how big of cans, how much
did you need to use? And what exactly does it say on the can? There
is so much to choose from, I'd hate to get the wrong stuff.

I'm going to have the interior in 16851 apart later this month.

Thanks for the info.

Joe O'Brien

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Andrew <aos+yahoo@xxxx> wrote:
> Other people have made a number of comments on restoring interior
trim, so
> I'll limit mine to those which add new information...
>
> I'm just finishing up a restoration of much of my interior and
exterior.
> I redyed all my interior vinyl pieces (save the dash, which I
replaced
> with a Josh Halderman rejuvenated dash) with Plastikote gloss
black dye.
> It is glossier than the original, but I think it looks decent.
They also
> sell a flat black which would look more like the original.  If I
don't
> like the gloss black, I can always spray the flat black on top.
>
> I think it turned out pretty nicely.  You can see pictures of my
freshly
> reassembled interior, with the deyed vinyl parts at
> http://fuh-q.org/~aos/photos/?album=20050601 .  For those who have
been
> following my work, you can also find at that URL a shot of the
interior of
> the luggage compartment after I dyed it with Griot's Bumper & Trim
> reconditioner.
>
> I, too, JB Welded my broken trim studs back into place, and it
worked very
> well.  For one missing stud I had, I just found a similar diameter
bolt
> and associated nut, stuck the bolt down in the hole, JB Welded it
in
> place, and then cut off the head with a pneumatic cut off tool.
Worked