From: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
Behalf Of Andrew
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 12:15 AM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DMCForum] Restoring interior trim... What to use?

Other people have made a number of comments on restoring interior trim, so
I'll limit mine to those which add new information...

I'm just finishing up a restoration of much of my interior and exterior.
I redyed all my interior vinyl pieces (save the dash, which I replaced
with a Josh Halderman rejuvenated dash) with Plastikote gloss black dye.
It is glossier than the original, but I think it looks decent.  They also
sell a flat black which would look more like the original.  If I don't
like the gloss black, I can always spray the flat black on top.

I think it turned out pretty nicely.  You can see pictures of my freshly
reassembled interior, with the deyed vinyl parts at
http://fuh-q.org/~aos/photos/?album=20050601 .  For those who have been
following my work, you can also find at that URL a shot of the interior of
the luggage compartment after I dyed it with Griot's Bumper & Trim
reconditioner.

I, too, JB Welded my broken trim studs back into place, and it worked very
well.  For one missing stud I had, I just found a similar diameter bolt
and associated nut, stuck the bolt down in the hole, JB Welded it in
place, and then cut off the head with a pneumatic cut off tool.  Worked
perfectly.

I'm going to start sounding like a Griots Garage advertisement here, but I
decided to try Griot's stainless steel polish when I blended the exterior,
and I'm very pleased with the results, which can be seen at
http://fuh-q.org/~aos/shiny.jpg .  Yes, I still haven't redyed that
passenger side mirror.

-andrew