Re: [DMCForum] Re: DeLorean Wanted

On 5/31/05, spaceboy_2912 <seanmm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Perhaps it was my use of "fixer-upper" that made my initial query seem
> absurd. The term is very vague and could be interpreted 100 different
> ways by 300 different members. I was trying to weed out the "complete
> engine overhaul" and "frame off restoration" cars. I just never
> considered a car that required a new fuel pump and CO adjustment to
> get it up and running a "real fixer-upper" for $8k.
> sean

No, that's called a "steal". If you paid $8k for a car that only
required that tiny amount of work and wasn't otherwise torn up, rusty,
or had other major problems, you got one hell of a deal. As I said,
the exception does not make the rule. Your getting a car for half it's
value is a huge exception. This doesn't happen often; most $8k
DeLoreans are trashed.

I just want DeLorean costs & ownership to be perfectly clear to those
wishing to engage in it. When you talk about your $8k car in a thread
like this, you're misleading the author. You're essentially saying to
him, "I did this, and you can do it, too." Chances are slim to none
he's going to find a similar deal. If he believes you, he will almost
certainly end up with a major project on his hands that he may not be
capable of pulling off. He loses his dream, the car loses any chance
it may have had for a proper restoration, and we as a community lose
someone who could have been a great member when he sells what's left
of it and swears off DeLoreans forever.

Look, I'm not trying to be a dick, or cop an elitist attitude toward
those who want an affordable DeLorean. I myself have what most would
consider an "affordable DeLorean", but I knew good and well what I was
getting into when I bought it and I have the income to afford it's
hiccups. I just want to make sure we're completely honest with
potential owners here. A large pocket book and/or a fully stocked
garage & decent mechanical background is necessary to enjoy most
sub-$15k DeLoreans.

-Ryan