Re: [DMCForum] Re: Eagle Premier PRV.

Matt Spittle wrote:

> Robert I'm currently in the midst of swapping over to the eagle engine
> (hence, all my DeLorean ECU's on e-bay).  Steve S. has a lot of
> documentation on his result (www.projectdelorean.com).  His is running
> using the Electromotive TEC3 system.  There's another guy who did it,
> and John Lane did all of his work; also using the Electromotive system
> (TEC2). That link is
> (http://home.comcast.net/~shirazcupala/delorean/tech_pictures.htm)
> <http://home.comcast.net/%7Eshirazcupala/delorean/tech_pictures.htm%29>

The link doesn't work.... and the TEC3, though excellent and feature
packed is very expensive - have a look at

http://www.link-electro.co.nz/lem_link_plus.html

This is the best ECU I've found for the money, though I'm particularly
interested in turbo applications and need things like knock sensor
inputs which seem to be lacking in other ecus.

> Both of those swaps, and my swap, is using the later style, 91-92
> eagle premier engine.

hahahah  "later style", and I've got two Renault Z7X engines, circa 97
in the workshop for the same kind of money <grin> with hydraulic tappets
and balance shaft. The timing cover is a bit of a bugger though as it's
different for the balance shaft.

> Don't be fooled by the earlier engine's
> distributor.  It still uses a magnetic crank trigger on the flywheel
> just as the later models do, but don't ask me why or how that all
> works together.

Simple. The distributor does nothing but distribute the spark. It means
one coil and the ecu only needs to know TDC signals for each pair of
pistons. Running distributorless means exactly the same signal, but
running coil packs instead. Effectively you're making the control
electronics slightly more complex, but the HT side is more reliable and
neater. The TEC3 manual is excellent for teaching from first principles
on things like batch firing injectors and wasted spark. When it all
clicks in your mind, you realise how utterly simple it is - much easier
than the original mechanical system on the DeLorean (both ignition and
injection)

Talking ECU's, I actually have a Renault ECU and loom for my late
distributorless system. nobody bought it off ebay for 99p. Anyone?

Martin