[DMCForum] Re: Videos - My Last Comments

[DMCForum] Re: Videos - My Last Comments

I just want to clarify a few things based off of Robert's post and
one of VideoBobs posts.  Post is kind of long, but for those that
are interested, read ahead.

First off, my web-site does not exist to make money.  I don't lure
people in by showing them cool things just to get them to visit my
small little site shop section, which houses four items, none of
which I really "make" any money on.

The DMC Phone Card is something I have forgotten to remove and was
put up there five years ago, when 500 minutes for $31.00 made any
sense.  And a few friends put them together as a College project, so
I had one made up for fun.  How many sold?  Zero!

My Eurofest Video was shot by myself and contains all of my own
footage.  I sell it on DVD and trust me, the few dollars made over
the last few years has barely covered the taxi from my house to the
airport, considering all the costs associated with that trip.  I am
not complaining though, I had a great time and that is why I made
the video to share it with others.

I have the Gullwing Magazine sale page there, which is a favor to
Ron for doing great work on that magazine.  I do not get any
commission on sales through my site.

The SS Decal Set I get a small commission on, as with the "Backside
to the future" DVD's I help Dave S. sell.  Once again, I just
represent them, I do not physically sell these items.

I have never claimed ownership over the video clips that are on my
web-site, and do not believe that in the large scheme of things in
this world, having a 30 second clip of a piece of footage hurts any
of the Producers from making profits.  I am not saying it is legal,
but for the purposes of a fan site, I personally don't have a
problem with it.  Everyone else can have their own opinions and run
their web-sites the way they want to, this is just mine.

In regards to the quality of the video clips.  As long as you have a
Real Media player, they should work fine.  It is true that the size
of the clips are small, and thus some of the quality of the older
clips are not the best, but they are certainly viewable.  I think a
lot of us forget what it was like four or six years ago with 56K
connections and what it was like to download, thus my reasoning
behind making the clips small.  My more recent clips are slightly
larger in file size and the quality is good.

I appreciate Viedobob's comments about my Eurofest Video, and my
dealings with Videobob at the last car show were positive.  I am
always a big fan of people documenting DeLorean events, and he seems
to have done so pretty well in Pigeon Forge.  I lean more towards
documenting on the web with pictures and my own personal video clips
and interviews.

Hope this clarifies any confusions or misrepresentations by anyone.

Regards,
Tamir

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas@xxxx>
wrote:
> So, because VideoBob does these things for profit, that faults him
> over Tamir?
>
> Firstly, Tamir does sell products on his site as well. And like
the
> antennas & LEDs that people complain about, I don't see a 500
minute
> phone card for $31 dollars being a good value either. And don't
> forget that just like how VB has a video of Pigeon Forge, so does
> Tamir sell one of a Eurofest meet. So the "profit" aspect is a
moot
> point. DVD-R vs. VHS tape doesn't change a thing. Just because
VB's
> distribution media is an easier/quicker format to copy things to,
> doesn't make VB a *bad* person. Especially when both do technicly
> sell videos, and other for-profit items on their website.
Individual
> perceptions of what someone may consider to be "over priced" for
both
> unrelated items, and videos has nothing to do with the videos in
> question.
>
> The difference between Video Bob, and Tamir is their distribution
> means. Neither of them own the rights to these videos in question.
> Just as you can say that VB is selling DVDs containing material
that
> he does not own, so could you argue that Tamir is using that same
> material for profit on his website. Except for instead of selling
> DVDs that directly contain it, he is using these free clips to
> attract people to his website, in an effort to drive sales of
> products in his online store.
>
> Otherwise, I don't see what VideoBob is doing wrong with these
> videos. You pay a bit more, and end up getting full clips,
available
> for viewing on a full TV screen, instead of a RealPlayer window.
So
> to me, the price he's asking for these videos is worth it. But
more
> importantly, it's just that you'd be paying VB to do the footwork
in
> preparing everything for a DVD, that you can keep. So that's worth
it
> to me. I don't see a difference in what they're doing at all. Just
> because you don't charge for something, doesn't mean that
circumvents
> the nessesity of gaining the proper owner's permission for said
> material.
>
> -Robert
things he does.