RE: [DMCForum] Cracked Windshield

If you mean the little bent metal supports at the bottom, why do you need to
replace them?  One of them seems to be visible where the crack meets the
lower edge.  They don't wear out.  The windshield just rests on these while
the adhesive dries.

On the car we did, in the mid 4000 VIN range, there was no channel.  The
surface where the adhesive is applied was just smooth fiberglass.  The only
thing we ran into, and it was only time consuming, was cutting the old
windshield out.  After that, we cleaned the fiberglass really good, Ken
squirted the new adhesive and we set it in place.

You will have to remove your weather stripping, which is attached to the
three metal trim pieces, so if yours is brittle it will probably be
destroyed.  It will have to be re-glued.  We also sanded down and painted
those trim pieces.  On this car, you could see part of the fiberglass just
behind the top of the windshield and in bright light it looked gray.  Since
the owner is very anal, that area was touched up with black paint.

Like Andrew mentioned on the A-pillar trim, if yours are faded this would be
a great time to dye them.  I posted a picture to the photo section where you
can see the car without the windshield.  Notice how the A-pillar material
wraps around, and will be under the windshield.  I cropped that picture, so
let me know if you want the full size version to see more detail.

Over all it is not a very difficult job.

Greg