[DMCForum] Re: Looking for Captain Hydrogen

[DMCForum] Re: Looking for Captain Hydrogen

What no one seems to mention about using compressed hydrogen in vehicles, is that it is very explosive.  (and because it is a gas, it is much more volatile that liquid fuel sources such as gasoline).  Although I am sure (compressed) hydrogen powered cars could be designed to be safe for driving, I would be very concerned about getting into an accident with a tank of hydrogen.
Think about it, if two normal cars crash into eachother and one of their fuel lines is a little broken so there is a small fuel drip, every one involved would have a much better chance of not exploding into a ball of flames, than if the car had hydrogen fuel and the hydrogen gas were be pissing out (in which case there would be a BIG explosion).  I really doubt compressed hydrogen will catch on as a wide spread consumer fuel source.  The hydrogen fuel cells however, those could be somewhat safer than simply powering the engine off compressed hydrogen, simply because there is significantly less plumbing that is likely to leak.  If you want to convert you delorean to an alternate fuel source definately go with the fuel cell.  Its quieter and safer.
my 2 cents
Joe P.