[DMCForum] Re: Electric powered DeLorean

[DMCForum] Re: Electric powered DeLorean

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
> > If we had to ship in water from other countries, the
> international
> > outcry would be unimaginable. Pictures of staving kids in
> Africa...
>
> You can't be serious, right?  Oh I get it.  You are spoofing
> me because what I claim sounds so ridiculous?

No, I'm taking this conversation quite serious, and I'm not out
trying to make fun of you or anything like that. I'm just saying that
with so many media outlets who are so unscrupulous in their
reporting, that they could possibly try and twist something like this
against us. Hell, look at Al Jazeera. And in the book "Cadillac
Desert", the US Bureau of Reclamation gets blamed for the destruction
of some ancient tribes down in Baja, because we dried up the wetlands
when we stopped the water flow. So bad press like this is certainly
something to expect.

<SNIP>
> > However, any profit that stakeholders don't realize, but
> > still think that they could have made, is still deemed as
> a loss by
> > them. So any alternative fuel sources need to be
> profitable for them.
>
> Ironically, if my idea is feasible then the oil companies
> may love it.  Basically we can make our own crude oil from
> organic matter.  But it would be just as well to use this to
> make hydrogen fuel or a very clean burning converted natural
> gas.

As long as the oil companies can remain profitable, then they'll see
solutions like this as feasable, and will accept them. We are to a
major degree here at their economic mercy. However, it should be
noted that synthetic fuels such as biodiesel on their own have a MUCH
lower sulfur content, and lubricate diesel motors beter. And in
addition, the run much, MUCH cleaner, than their petrolium sourced
counter parts.

http://www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=2626355

<SNIP>
I see your point with the fuel stations. My only concern is that
small franchises that are independantly owned may suffer. Although I
totally understand that we cannot have any progress without
sacrifices.

Now, no matter if we swap out cartridges, or we will permanent tanks
on cars, it's still a highly pressurized system, where as liquid
fuels are simply sloshing around. So how can we prevent something
like this from happening?

http://www.enhancedhealth.com/NOS2.htm

> > Use of sewage/agricultural waste is a great solution that
> takes care
> > of both fuel, and disposal needs.
>
> Absolutely.  If we only process the waste lightly then we
> can get hydrogen and clean burning natural gas.  If we
> overprocess then we get coal & crude and all that mess.  It
> would be useful for plastics & such.  But generally I expect
> that we would take the clean stuff off the top to use as
> fuel and then compost the rest.

Who needs to make coal? Instead of wasting more energy on the
process, we could instead take the effluent, dry it out into pressed
and formed bricks, and use that as an alternative fuel in coal-fired
power plants.

We could also harness the metane generated in the digeting process,
and use that as an alternative fuel in gas-fired steam plants.

> > Don't get me wrong, I'm definetly
> > interested in hydrogen, and learning more about it. But I
> really only
> > see it as being feasable for light duty passenger cars.
>
> http://www.forbes.com/vehicles/2005/01/04/cx_dl_0104vow.html##Static
> Check out the above link.  I found it by doing a Google on
> "hydrogen" and "hummer".  It talks about Arnold
> Schwarzenegger's love of hydrogen, his hydrogen powered
> Hummer and about a dozen hydrogen fueling stations in
> southern California.

It's interesting of course that the Governator is trying to push
hydrogen. But the article says that the vehicle is under strict
regulattions that no one except a GM rep is allowed to fill it, and
must be present at all times. That's still not a real world example
to prove feasability.

Another thing to consider is that when the head of CARB (California
Air Resource Board) starts saying that we need to push for more
diesel vehicles, that's one helluva change. If the state with the
most stringent emissions laws says that we should consider something,
there there is probably a good reason for it.

http://www.techcentralstation.com/110102A.html

http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/dccom/0,,0-5-187315-1-198410-1-0-0-
187343-0-0-135-7166-0-0-0-0-0-0-0,00.html

The article you had in the other post was great, about using hyrogen
to cut diesel fuel for better efficieny & to reduce pollution. It
would be perfect for industrial diesel applications, but wouldn't fly
with regular passenger cars. The overwhelming majority of consumers
simply think that car keys and a gas card are all they need to drive
forever. If we throw in supplimental fuels as a part of either a
maintenance schedule, or a refueling process, we'll just confuse
consumers, and totally turn them off to these new concepts.

-Robert