[DMCForum] Fw: UN1 upgrade

Or, if you want to bulletproof the whole thing...

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2005 4:36 AM
Subject: UN1 upgrade

You enquired about upgrade kits for the UN1 gearbox.

A new batch is imminent, probable delivery early May.

If you want to order one of these upgrades, please confirm your intentions with me  as soon as possible as demand is expected to be brisk based on the number of  serious enquires made. Reply to me in the first place and I will supply further details of payment, and applicable terms and conditions.

Please read carefully the attached pdf document which spells out the technical and practical details, as well as describing  details of some choices to be made, and the parts which must be supplied to us  if you want to take advantage of the exchange price. If you are sending  a  complete gearbox in good condition, this has all the parts required.

If your  gearbox is in good condition, it can be rebuilt  and the upgrade fitted for £500. If the gearbox has already failed or has some problems, we can quote your for the additional repair work after inspecting the gearbox. We can usually source suitable replacement parts at  modest prices compared with Lotus list. If you require Lotus parts to be fitted, this is also possible.

The Exchange price for a UN1 kit is £2250 where the required parts are supplied from your gearbox to be modified.

The outright price is £2750.  This is because the UN1 has not been made for some time, and some spares are difficult to source.

For the Esprit UN1 types, the gearbox casings may need to be modified to accept the upgrade. This is absolutely necessary, it is difficult significantly to upgrade the strength of the UN1 26/27/28 first motion shaft without enlarging the rear bearing as the main weakness is the overhung 5th gear.

Modifying the Esprit casings will cost £100. If a gearbox casing is not supplied in advance, an exchange casing set can be supplied but a deposit of £1000 will be required. This is fully refunded on receipt of a usable set of casing parts. The reason for  the large deposit is due to the increasing scarcity of Esprit gearbox casings as none are being made, and the number in circulation (holding gearboxes together!) is gradually decreasing due to gearbox failures damaging the casings. Hence if you want an  exchange upgrade kit, you need to supply the relevant bits!

All prices/costs are subject to relevant taxes (VAT in UK) plus and shipping and packing costs.

Summary of Prices

UN1 upgrade kit, exchange price                             £2250

UN1 upgrade kit outright price                                  £2750

Machining Esprit Casings                                           £100

Deposit for Esprit casings not supplied

when ordering (fully refundable)                                £1000

Cost of rebuilding Gearbox and fitting upgrade         £500

Supply and fit ATB LSD                                               £750

Please note, It is anticipated and hoped that all items will in practice  be on an exchange basis, if we do not get the exchange parts from you , it will be much more difficult to supply the upgrade as new parts have not been made for some time.

Please contact me if you want to order a kit and I will send the you the relevant paperwork and bank details. Don't send any money or gearboxes to me!

                                Regards

                                            Derek Bell