[DMCForum] Re: DMCH performance suspension

[DMCForum] Re: DMCH performance suspension

This has always been a complex issue which has two different schools
of thought. We've got some factory employees who say the car was
always intended to be nose high, some who say it wasn't. I think
looking at the prototype, and especially the preproduction prototype
(which was very very close to the final car, sans a few minor
cosmetic details) tells the story. All of the prototypes, and
preproduction prototypes were a more nose down look. That's probably
the way the car was originally *intended* (or at least preferred) to
look, but likely after some research and development was done, it
was decided American roads and drivers needed greater ground
clearance to ensure car and driver usability and safety. Perhaps
with time and more money put into engineering the car could have
achieved the needed ground clearance without appearing so nose-high.
That's likely why it was called a "last minute" decision to raise
the cars front ends... it was someting that needed to be done, but
really couldn't be done right given time and money restraints. I
still doubt there were any last minute bumper laws, probably only a
suggestion by research that for crash reasons the car ought to be
higher in the front end.

Regarding the DMC-Texas suspension, I've driven cars with it, and
believe me, it makes a WORLD of difference in both ride AND
handling. Like Marc said, it's all about what's right for you and
the way you want your car to perform and look NOW. It's something
that's not too dificult to reverse if the need ever arises either.
Just keep your original components.

Louie G.
#5252 Charlotte, NC

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "ryanpwright" <yahoo1@xxxx> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Any thoughts on the DMCH Eibach setup?
>
> Looks like a great suspension replacement to me, and I was
planning on
> ordering it just now until I read the text at their site, which
says:
> "This balanced package of front and rear springs and shocks makes
the
> car level."
>
> Now, I am of the understanding that DeLoreans were supposed to be
> lower in the front than the rear, but something about US laws made
> them change that at the last minute. I've read several instances of
> people lowering the front to achieve the proper handling & stance
that
> the car was designed for. I talked to Warren and he wasn't sure
about
> this, so I want to ask the community.
>
> Can someone clarify this for me?
>
> Does the DMCH Eibach setup restore the car to it's intended
> specifications, or to the "shipped them this way because we had to"
> specifications? Obviously, I want the best for my car, and want it
> ride as John intended.
>
> -Ryan

click here