Re: [DMCForum] Re: A/C question

Hi ya, I'm way behind as usual catching up on messages.

> Not to dispute you at all but my mechanic tried the VOV on
my D and
> tried the GM one and actually bought them all and NONE of
them fit
> properly.  If i remeber right and I could be wrong..walt
usues the
> VOV as well but I think had to modify it somehow to fit.
>
> Michael Q

Yeah, I have used the VOV with R-12 and R-134a conversions
in DeLoreans, and they work much better than the original
fixed orifice tubes.

I believe that ANY orifice tube made for automotive use will
fit in the DeLorean, but that doesn't mean it will work
optimally.  Hence, I think that the outer diameter of ALL
orifice tubes (and corresponding VOV replacements) are the
same outer diameter.

I would not be surprised if your mechanic had problems
getting the orifice tube (or corresponding VOV replacement)
to fit.  There are 3 reasons:
The orifice tubes are a tight fit anyway.
The better VOVs use two o-rings instead of just one, so that
gives more friction to get them to slide in.
If the evaporator tube which holds the orifice tube is bent
or kinked in any way then it makes installing the orifice a
problem.

I have replaced orifice tubes on several DeLoreans, and ALL
of them had bent tubes that needed straightening.  I think
the factory did them this way.  They had to bend the parts
to make them fit, and it was probably easier to bend them at
the orifice tube junction instead of closer to the
evaporator core.  Once I get the tube straightened out then
I put a rod inside the pipe to keep the important part
straight while I put a new bend closer to the core.  For
this I use an old drill rod that I rounded on the end and
covered it in masking tape to help make it soft so that it
doesn't mark up the inside of the pipe.

Too often, tho, these pipes are mangled by previous
mechanics trying to get them apart.  That is the first place
that moisture from an improperly evacuated system will
collect.  That causes corrosion and seizure of the mating
parts.

For those of you within driving distance of Tampa, keep in
mind that I have the crimping tools to install new hoses as
well as the rest of the equipment to flush, evacuate &
charge any DeLorean.  I work cheap, too.  Probably too
cheap.

Walt

click here