Re: [DMCForum] A/C question

> I did notice today that the compressor cycles about every
6 seconds
- that couldn't be right, could it?

That depends on how fast your engine was running at the time
and what the weather was like that day.  At an engine RPM
range of around 2500+ RPM with moderate weather, a 7 second
cycling time is good.  But if you were getting 6 second
cycling intervals at idle then your system was low on
refrigerant no matter what the weather.  Ideally the system
should cycle on for no less than 45 seconds at idle or run
continuously on a hot day.   (Cool weather means quicker
cycling times, hot weather means longer.)

> Can I just take it to
> anyplace that works on auto A/C or do I need someone
familiar with
> Delorean specifics?

Too many shops are butchers that want to do the minimal work
to get maximum money.  I would hate to see just any shop
work on a DeLorean.  However, the system is very easy for
any reasonable AC man to figure out.  The hard part for them
is knowing how to service the orifice tube area without
damaging it.  That is the most common problem.  The other is
that mechanics like to charge for a full service job (flush,
evacuate, refill, new accumulator, etc) but then they do
almost nothing except add refrigerant to the system.  Well,
I shouldn't complain.  Not all shops are like this, of
course.  But stuff like this is the most significant reason
why I learned to do the work myself.

Walt

click here