RE: [DMCForum] Re: Gasoline Prices and the election

RE: [DMCForum] Re: Gasoline Prices and the election

Bob,

As much as I respect your knowledge on many topics, I need to say that you
are wrong on several points.

When I worked for UNOCAL in San Francisco, we spent $500,000,000 on new
technology to reduce refinery emissions and process changes in order to meet
the CA fuel specs.  I also have worked for Chevron,TOSCO, Exxon and Shell.
Leaded fuel was less expensive to make than unleaded because you had to
blend in more expensive additives for the anti-knock qualities.  MTBE was an
oxygenate that was a higher priced additive.  It cost lots of money to
handle MTBE and to manufacture MTBE.  Pumps that moved MTBE had to be fitted
with dual mechanical seal system which required KALREZ o-rings.  A Buna
o-ring would cost $5, and the same o-ring made out of KALREZ would cost
$300.  Amazing, isn't it.  Sulfur specs have been lowered in many parts of
the country and it costs money to remove the sulfur from the fuel.  Having
to produce mogas with different reed vapor pressure cost money too.  You
have to segregate the different spec fuels during storage and pipeline
moves.  Everything costs money.  Atlanta has its own specs as many other
cities in the US.  If there was a standardized national fuel spec for summer
blends and winter blends, the production cost of mogas would drop.
Refineries across the US could supply fuel to any of the markets.
Currently, they can not do it.  PS, I'm so glad that I have tons of Chevron
stock.

Scott Mueller 002981