RE: [DMCForum] Dubya

I agree that Bush comes off in his speeches as a... less than
intelligent kind of guy, but this attempt to smear him is embarassingly
desperate for a few reasons:

- First, as Dave pointed out, it's plainly obvious that the date he's
referring to is a date he visited the site, not the day the attacks
occurred.  To speculate wildly, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that
prior to 9/14 the site was still too unsafe for the president to "stand
in the ruins".
- Second, the president mentions "September the 11th" in five other
places in the speech, once to refer to "the attacks of September the
11th".  To claim that he doesn't know when the attacks occurred just
because he mentions the 14th *once* is ridiculous.
- Third, even if the president had proclaimed 27 times that the attacks
occurred on April 29th, 2000, he just reads the speeches; he doesn't
write them.  So attributing mistakes (or lack of them) to him alone is
silly.

On a slightly partisan note, if the extemporaneous debates are any
indication, hearing Bush compose his own speeches on the spot would
actually make his speaking engagements way more entertaining.

As a side note, I think that friendly political discussion can be pretty
enlightening and challenging, but the name-calling on both sides (bush
is a "moron" vs. marc is the "very personification of liberal ideals")
spoils the fun for everyone.  I think we can keep this a good OT topic
if we can stick to facts and calm political opinions, instead of talking
about each other.  Discuss the politics and politicians, not our
political beliefs themselves.  I wonder if that's possible...

- Jon

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 10:32, Dave Stragand wrote:
> Very snappy response!  When proven wrong, call someone a name!  You are the
> very personification of liberal ideals!!!!  =)

> Seriously, Marc -- if you feel the need to say things like that, you may
> want to think about growing up a bit.  Are we really supposed to take
> anything you say seriously if you act like an 8 year-old at recess?

> -Dave

click here