Re: [DMCForum] Ignition upgrading

Louie, the silicone hoses are nice.  While you are under the
intake manifold, consider filling those casting voids with
hi-temp silicone RTV.  It will make the engine stink for
about 3 weeks, but it does a lot to keep rot out of there.
It takes most of 3 tubes to totally fill it.

The main vacuum leak to worry about is that vacuum switch
with 3 hoses on it.  Make sure it isn't leaking.  They can
leak around where the metal is crimped around the plastic.
If it is loose, it leaks.  I didn't realize this was a
problem on mine until I already had the intake manifold back
on.  So I gooped it up by reaching under there with my
fingers.  I was surprised I could get my hand in there far
enough.  But better to do it while you have the manifold
off.

As for the plug wires, I recommend staying with the carbon
weave wire and not using solid wire that will mess up your
AM radio reception.

Just because the platinum plugs are the most expensive, it
doesn't mean they work the best.  I have heard that copper
is the best, but they wear out the quickest.  Silver tip is
next best and last longer.  Platinum is bullet proof, but
dont run the car as well.  I have only learned this from
anecdotes, so if you can get any more opinions, pay
attention and let me know what you find.

Walt

click here