[DMCForum] Re: DeLorean engine swaps.

> The complication you may have with any modern engine
> that is not in it's own car, is making it run with an
> after market engine control computer.  It can be done,
> but most of the computers are expensive.<

Why would you use an aftermarket management system on a transplant
when you can use the one that came with it? I've transplanted several
Toyota Supra engines while retaining their TCCS system as well as
grafting the TCCS onto other engines. Granted, these were OBD I
TCCSes but OBD II wouldn't be much harder. In fact I bet I could
graft an OBD I TCCS onto a PRV without too much trouble.

I can do this only because I know the TCCS well and because I feel
it's one of the best engine management systems in the world. It's an
adaptive and self learning system that handles everything: ignition
timing and advance, injector duration, idle speed control and
emissions, all in one box. You simply have to transplant the
associated sensors and components for the level you want and retune
the engine. It's other inputs (idle up, A/C, ect) can also be used as
desired. This is the same system that runs turboed Supras that make
500 HP without internal engine mods and 1000 HP with them. (My daily
driver is a 450 rwhp Supra)

Even using it on a different engine isn't all that difficult.
Resizing of injectors and tweaking fuel pressure may be needed but
that's no big deal. The ECU, harness, sensors, and other parts can
easily be picked up for cheap on Ebay or at the local junk yard.
Reprogramming can be down if desired or just tweak the input hardware
to match original conditions.

The same can be said for any adaptive system. You just have to know
the details of whatever system you chose to use. However, it's best
to stay with the system that came on the engine in the first place
rather than graft another one onto it. You'll also need decent tuning
tools. A wide band O2 sensor, EGT, and a 4 or 5 gas analyzer if you
can get access to one. A dyno is even better but you can do without
it or save it for the final tweaking. As long as you have EGT or O2
sensor data you can do without one.

The point is using the system that came on the transplanted engine is
the easist and cheapest way to go as it requires minimal tuning. Why
screw around with aftermarket?

click here