[DMCForum] Re: DPNW door actuators... attn: Toby?

[DMCForum] Re: DPNW door actuators... attn: Toby?

Toby,

To poke fun at the situation I will say that I have watched
a few DeLorean hobbyists "go bad" in a since that they
started out as nice guys online seeking help restoring their
cars and freely giving advice.  And then when they mutated
into DeLorean parts retailers they started coveting secrets,
stopped giving out cross-reference information and referring
to themselves in the plural "we" when before they referred
to themselves in the singular, "I".  Did they undergo
mitosis?

Such carries with it a stigma that you are evidently dealing
with.  In some cases these stigmas are well earned.
Consider those aftermarket window regulators made by
Electric Life.  Everyone can buy them at the same price and
from the same sources that the DeLorean parts retailers buy
them from.  They aren't cheap to begin with.  Then our
DeLorean parts retailers usually strip off the manufacture's
name, loose the enclosed literature & a few pieces of
hardware, repackage it like they manufactured the damn thing
from scratch, and then they mark it up about twice what they
paid for it.  Is this wrong?  The answer is not clear and
comes in several shades of gray.  I tend to disapprove of
this practice.  But I really respect people like Ken
Koncelik.  He makes more DeLorean specific parts than
everyone else combined.  And he always seems eager to
explain how he does it.  Do people steal his ideas and
profit from them?  I am not aware of a single incident.

So I dare you to shatter the stigma.  Make your Wings-A-Loft
kit open source.  Publish all the how-to's and dimensional
drawings so that skilled hobbyists can build their own.
People who would do this are not likely to pay a lot of
money for intellectual property anyway, so I don't expect
you would loose money.  It would probably help advertise
your product provided it has more intellectual expertise
than a fuel tank baffle that isn't even as good as an empty
can of tuna.  It is not like they are going to steal your
ideas and go into business for themselves.  In fact, some
people claim that you are guilty of this too.  Wasn't Bob
Zilla the first person in the history of the world to come
up with the idea of a door opening at the push of a button?

There are others who are very pleased to pay you for your
intellectual property.  I am a case in point by ordering
some yet-to-be-determined version of your Wings-a-loft kit.
Is it ready yet?  If I had the time and the attention span,
I would build my own.  But since I have the money and a
reputation for not getting old projects finished, I would
rather pay you to do that work for me.

And rest assured that I have no intent on reverse
engineering the thing or putting dimensional drawings online
let alone selling my own version of it.  For me the fun
comes from finding a solution.  I don't want to waste my
time finding yet another version of a solution that has
already been resolved satisfactorily.  And I have my own pet
projects that consume my spare time.

The open source idea is just a suggestion tho.  Maybe you
shouldn't pay attention to people who believe that the
wealthiest people have no money.  I don't even wear shoes.

Urp.  ;-)

Walt    Tampa, Florida

click here