[DMCForum] Re: DPNW door actuators... attn: Toby?

[DMCForum] Re: DPNW door actuators... attn: Toby?

Hi Walt - I appreciate your "poke".  I don't have time right now for
a comprehensive reply to all of your points, but I did want to touch
on a couple of them.  Please see my comments sprinkled below:

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Walter Coe" <Whalt@xxxx> wrote:
> But I really respect people like Ken
> Koncelik.  He makes more DeLorean specific parts than
> everyone else combined.  And he always seems eager to
> explain how he does it.  Do people steal his ideas and
> profit from them?  I am not aware of a single incident.

As far as I know, Ken makes parts for other people who have paid for
the tooling and other expenses.  When I have asked Ken for access to
certain parts, he asks me to contact the vendor (insert name here)
who paid for the product to be made.  I know that there are
exceptions to this (the crumple tube section comes to mind), but that
is the general mode of operation.  So, Ken is not willing to sell me
parts because somebody else has paid for the development of those
parts.  He has a very high level of integrity in this regard, which I
greatly admire, by the way.

> In fact, some
> people claim that you are guilty of this too.  Wasn't Bob
> Zilla the first person in the history of the world to come
> up with the idea of a door opening at the push of a button?

Actually, I would guess that Darryl Tinnerstet was probably the first
one in this niche.  I know that the very early versions of his kit
were produced nearly 15 years ago.  I don't recall Zilla poking
around with his launcher concept before about 1998.  I may be
mistaken here ... I wasn't really paying that much attention.  Since
we essentially bought Darryl's business (not really, but in a sense
we did), we also bought his concepts (his intellectual property) that
he had been producing for people for a while.  This holds true for
the door lock actuators as well.  He came up with the idea, installed
an early version in his car, but never took it forward into a
producible kit.  We took his idea, and brought it to the DeLorean
community in a cost-effective and accessible manner.

> I am a case in point by ordering
> some yet-to-be-determined version of your Wings-a-loft kit.
> Is it ready yet?

We have just the system for you!  We were asked by the manufacturer
of the platform system to work with their primary U.S distributor.
We have tried to deal with them, but it's just not working out.
Therefore, we are back in conversation with the manufacturer, and I
would guess that we will have a working agreement very soon (days?)
so that we can obtain the platform, combine it with all the stuff
that is required to integrate it into the car, including door latch
actuators, etc., complete the detailed installation instructions
based on having the hardware "in-hand", and then getting the whole
shebang into your hands for installation.  I anticipate a certain
level of "shock and awe" from you.  BTW - The final name for this
system is the "Wings-A-Loft Elite".  I know that you disapprove of
naming things like that, but we have to create an identity for each
system or product that people can relate to.  Even the Olympic
Committee does this ... gold, silver, and bronze.  People understand
the relative value of each.  Much more relateable than "First place,
second place, and loser".

Toby Peterson
DeLorean Parts Northwest, LLC
www.delorean-parts.com